Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, June 14, 2024

QT 6/14/2024 2 Tim 4:19-22, Remember the Lord's presence

2 Timothy 4:19–22 (ESV) — 19 Greet Prisca and Aquila, and the household of Onesiphorus. 20 Erastus remained at Corinth, and I left Trophimus, who was ill, at Miletus. 21 Do your best to come before winter. Eubulus sends greetings to you, as do Pudens and Linus and Claudia and all the brothers.

22 The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you.

 

NOTE: Paul wasn't completely alone. Miletus is another example of where miracles of healing are not produced on demand, as some in the health and wealth movement might suggest.

 

The emphasis on coming before winter may have something to do with his cloak or just the fact that shipping pretty much shut down from November through March. Also, it suggests this letter was written in the spring or summer.

 

The last phrase, the benediction, are probably Paul's last words (at least written words) to Timothy. The first clause is singular, the second clause is plural (probably to the church). Yet, the Lord is with us, he lives within us through the Holy Spirit. So why say this phrase, as many do quite often? Maybe, we need to remember that God is with us always. We don't do things without his presence. He is here in our midst. When we recognize that truth, it probably changes our response and actions to things in life.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I recognize God's presence in ALL the things I do?
  2. Do I forget that God is with me?

 

PRAYER: Father, I don't always remember that you are with me every moment of my day. I am foolish. I need you and I need your grace. By myself, I will fail. Today I will memorize this verse: 2 Tim 4:22 The Lord be with your spirit, Grace be with you (all).

No comments:

Post a Comment