Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, June 20, 2024

QT 6/20/2024 Titus 2:1-2, Be careful in our teaching

Titus 2:1–2 (ESV) — 1 But as for you, teach what accords with sound doctrine. 2 Older men are to be sober-minded, dignified, self-controlled, sound in faith, in love, and in steadfastness.

 

NOTE: Sound doctrine is what the Holy Spirit has revealed to the church starting from the first century. Yes, the church has gone off the rails at times, but doctrine that has stood that test of time (and similarly creeds) should not be so easily discarded. Some new idea that challenges the orthodoxy of the past needs to be thoroughly reviewed. And we need to remember that we wear Western hats with Greek culture firmly embedded. The bible is written by Jews, who were eastern in their culture, and unique as well in their practices. We have a tendency to ignore Jewish idioms or the common language of the time in our search for truth. Orthodoxy can be wrong, especially if it was developed hundreds of years after the event. But long-standing theological views should be carefully researched before abandonment. Sound doctrine may seem boring but it is a protection against the enemy's schemes.

 

PONDER:

Am I too quick to accept some new idea? What is the impact of the idea on other doctrine and practices? Does it encourage faith or does it tear down another's faith? Is it useful?

 

PRAYER: Father, give me pause when new ideas come to me. Help me to seek you. Help me to understand truth. You promise that the Holy Spirit will help and guide me in truth. Fill me with your Spirit to discern truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment