Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, June 28, 2024

QT 6/28/2024 Tit 3:1-2, Living differently is easy in this generation

Titus 3:1–2 (ESV) — 1 Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work, 2 to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.

 

NOTE: Wow, that's a lot. I live in a culture that doesn't seem to support submissiveness in any context, except possibly the military. We are not obedient but choose what we want to do. For the most part, we are ready for good works, but it depends on how much it costs me and what I get out of it. We gossip and make it known when we don't like someone. Far from quarreling, we engage in road rage while driving. We consider gentleness a weakness and only show courtesies when the person is important in the entertainment industry.

 

I am ashamed of this culture I live in. But one redeeming truth, if I live in the manner described in the verses, I WILL BE a witness in this dying generation. I would add a few more things that are not hard to do and also improve our witness. Don't use profanity in any context. In the power of the Holy Spirit, it is not hard. Treat every person as a VIP, the janitor, the sales person in a store or fast food location. Again, you will be a witness by doing these simple things.

 

PONDER:

  1. How do I treat others? Do I even know the names of the janitors where I work?
  2. Is my language gracious and seasoned with salt? Or am I course, profane, and quick tempered? As a believer, there is no reason to continue to live in the world's ways.

 

PRAYER: Father, help me to see my blindspots, where I live like the world, but I should be living like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment