Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, July 11, 2024

QT 7/11/2024 Prov 6:2023, The most important advice

Proverbs 6:20–23 (ESV) —

20 My son, keep your father’s commandment,

and forsake not your mother’s teaching.

21 Bind them on your heart always;

tie them around your neck.

22 When you walk, they will lead you;

when you lie down, they will watch over you;

and when you awake, they will talk with you.

23 For the commandment is a lamp and the teaching a light,

and the reproofs of discipline are the way of life,

 

NOTE: The key to many of these dangers is the teaching of godly parents. I can't say that I received much teaching from my earthly parents. After I came to Christ, the teaching of my spiritual parents has kept me safe from sin for many years. The main teaching was quite simple, "get in the word, read the word, and obey the word -- make this routine a daily habit of your life." I cannot think of any better advice that has ever been given or has been more important in changing my life.

 

PONDER:

  1. How many days a week to you get into the word of God to read or study or memorize?
  2. Is God's word important to you? How is that communicated in your schedule and daily habits?

 

PRAYER: Father, the most life-changing wisdom I ever received was to read your word daily -- to meet with you each morning. I am a totally different person because of that advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment