Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, July 18, 2024

QT 7/18/2024 Prov 11:28, The importance of generosity

Proverbs 11:24–28 (ESV) —

24 One gives freely, yet grows all the richer;

another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want.

25 Whoever brings blessing will be enriched,

and one who waters will himself be watered.

26 The people curse him who holds back grain,

but a blessing is on the head of him who sells it.

27 Whoever diligently seeks good seeks favor,

but evil comes to him who searches for it.

28 Whoever trusts in his riches will fall,

but the righteous will flourish like a green leaf.

 

NOTE: The passage emphasizes the value of generosity. God will provide when we give generously. We will not hurt ourselves, we are actually helping ourselves, although that should not be our motivation. Rather, a generous man will ask the question, "How can I genuinely help another?" Is his need money or is it discipline? Sometimes withholding is a wise move. Generosity here is not bailing people out of their self-inflicted suffering. We need to "diligently seek good." We can't trust in riches nor should we hoard riches. How can we use our riches for the good of others?

 

PONDER:

  1. Where can I genuinely help others?
  2. Am I generous? Do I look for opportunities to be generous? Or am I selfish?

 

PRAYER: Father, as I consider one purchase that I have been mulling about for a month, I realize that the purchase can be a good thing. The purchase is a far better item to have for others to borrow than what I have now. That was recently seen by myself when my neighbors came and asked to borrow the item. Lead me and guide me in this purchase. Help me to know what is right and what is not needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment