Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, July 24, 2024

QT 7/24/2024 Prov 15:13, How do I view life internally?

Proverbs 15:13 (ESV) —

13 A glad heart makes a cheerful face,

but by sorrow of heart the spirit is crushed.

 

NOTE: Duane Garret broke this chapter (and part of the next ) up into two similar sections (15:1-17; 15:18-16:8) dealing with the same set of issues. It is very clever, as if, two people drew up their conclusions on the same set of life happenings. For myself, I see a lot of verses focusing on the inner attitude and how it affects the outward responses. Soft answers, a wise tongue, a gentle tongue, willingness to listen to reproof, seeing rightness as a treasure, prayer, openness, listening, etc, are all discussed. The glad heart seems to summarize many of these individual proverbs. How do I view life and my circumstances? Can I rejoice even in my suffering? It is certainly not easy and I would never encourage stoicism. We need to be honest with God, but we don't need to stew over life events, good and bad. A spirit of thankfulness will in time induce a glad heart. And a glad heart will change our countenance, and our countenance will affect those around us for good.

 

PONDER:

  1. When life is hard, do I fall into a pity party?
  2. Do I honestly go to God and tell him my struggles, worries, and fears?
  3. Do I then focus on being thankful because God promises me to bring good out of the pain in life?

 

PRAYER: Father, this is a hard balance. You are not looking for robotic stoics who ignore pain and repeat mantras of "God is in charge." I want to be honest with you in my struggles and I want to be thankful for my struggles. It is a tough balance at times and I need your help.

No comments:

Post a Comment