Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, July 1, 2024

QT 7/1/2024 Titus 3:4-8, The great importance of good works

Titus 3:4–8 (ESV) — 4 But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, 5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, 6 whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. 8 The saying is trustworthy, and I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works. These things are excellent and profitable for people.

 

NOTE: Paul emphasizes the church body "devote(ing) themselves to good works" with two key phrases, "the saying is trustworthy" and "I want you to insist on these things."

 

"The saying is trustworthy" is like saying: this is wisdom from God. You can put your trust fully in the importance of what I am about to say. Or, this is really important.

 

Paul also "insists" on the body following this wise advice. It really should not be an optional thing for the people of God. We are not to live for ourselves, but for God by our service to others.

 

But not only is it good wisdom and a command, it has value to the doer. I suppose one could argue that there are selfish reasons as well. First, it is an excellent thing. You can do no better. It is the highest quality for a believer, good works. Also, it is profitable for the doer. There is something that happens internally through the work of the Holy Spirit when we start living to serve others, rather than letting our life be consumed by what is important to us.

 

I am homebody. I like staying at home. I like working around the house and in my study and shed. I have tons of projects. I don't really enjoy long vacations. But for me, vacations are a service to my wife and to my family members. It is a 'good work' for me to have a good attitude and be supportive during these times. Others will not have the struggle I do, but rather the opposite issue. In their case, the issue will be different. The point is not to only do/serve in the things you 'WANT' to serve. I'm not even sure that is "serving" or "good works" when you only do the things you like to do. But each person must decide in his own mind and with the Holy Spirit's leading what it is that God wants you to do.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I live for myself or do I live to serve God by doing good works for others?
  2. Do I only serve "on my terms?"

 

PRAYER: Father, continue to show me how to do good works and what that really means to you. Help me to see my own selfishness. Help me to see how you want to use me in my neighborhood and community.

No comments:

Post a Comment