Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, July 12, 2024

QT 7/12/2024 Prov 7:21-27, Men can be so stupid

Proverbs 7:21–27 (ESV) —

21 With much seductive speech she persuades him;

with her smooth talk she compels him.

22 All at once he follows her,

as an ox goes to the slaughter,

or as a stag is caught fast

23 till an arrow pierces its liver;

as a bird rushes into a snare;

he does not know that it will cost him his life.

24 And now, O sons, listen to me,

and be attentive to the words of my mouth.

25 Let not your heart turn aside to her ways;

do not stray into her paths,

26 for many a victim has she laid low,

and all her slain are a mighty throng.

27 Her house is the way to Sheol,

going down to the chambers of death.

 

NOTE: We do think that there are evil men, but not usually women (well, I am a man and maybe that is the reason). But even in this case, we justify it by saying it is all sensuality and emotional connection. But this women uses every trick in the book to get the man to commit adultery. She even tries to assuage his moral guilt with some explanation of offerings and having just paid the funds, and hence short (Prov 7:14). There are so many avenues that she attacks in order to get him to give in.

 

I usually think of the man as the predator, and certainly there are sexual predators, especially those without any biblical or moral compass. But this is a man with a moral compass, and the woman is the predator. I am assuming her motivation is greed, maybe sensuality.

 

The man's motivations (besides his sexual desires) are stupidity and foolishness. This is a trap and he walks straight into it. He thinks it is only one night of a bad decision, but this decision will have lifelong consequences. And not only will it cost him his life, but this woman (and those like her) are actually monsters who have slain many men.

 

PONDER:

  1. How susceptible am I to this type of woman?
  2. How would I respond, how would I deter self from stupidity?

 

PRAYER: Father, thank you for protecting me from this type of stupidity and foolishness in my life. But I know, I am only a sliver away from such actions depending on circumstances and situations. I hope would turn, actually run from sin, but I am weak. Please, continue your grace and mercy toward me. Protect me from falling into the trap.

No comments:

Post a Comment