Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, July 17, 2024

QT 7/17/2024 Prov 10:23, The bible is what's missing in your messed up life

Proverbs 10:23 (ESV) —

23 Doing wrong is like a joke to a fool,

but wisdom is pleasure to a man of understanding.

 

NOTE: I could have picked any number of verses from Prov 10. While there is organization in the chapter around work, laziness, and the tongue, this verse caught my attention because it characterizes much of our culture today. To violate historical mores is considered "funny" and occurs often in the movies. Moreso, many biblical morals are laughed at, and the opposite is done. This falls into the areas of sexual freedom, homosexuality, trans-genderism, the rejection of marriage, and other long-held biblical truths. We think we have grown up and shed ourselves of these restrictions, but we are fools. There is nothing to take pride in rejecting God's commands. The bible is the user manual for this life that he created. It did not come about through random processes. There is not enough time in the universe for that to happen -- it is mathematically impossible. We are created. Did God use evolution as in divinely directed evolution? It is possible. It solves the math problem of random processes. But however God created us, he knows what is best for our lives. And when we spurn his direction, we will only destroy the life he gave to us.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I see God's word as his instruction to us on how to live life?
  2. Do I listen to the world's opinion on how to live life?

 

PRAYER: Father, I know I fail in many ways to live according to the instruction manual, your word. Each day I confess my sins and commit myself to doing better. I pray and ask your spirit to help. And I do see progress, but my sin nature is always fighting me. Continue to help me to grow in your holiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment