Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, July 23, 2024

QT 7/23/2024 Prov 14:15-16, A Christian is prudent and rational

Proverbs 14:15–16 (ESV) —

15 The simple believes everything,

but the prudent gives thought to his steps.

16 One who is wise is cautious and turns away from evil,

but a fool is reckless and careless.

 

NOTE: While most commentators do not put these two verses together, they seem to fit. The prudent gives thought to his steps, he/she is wise and cautious, turning away from evil. The simple believe everything, this is the bible verse for confirmation bias. Finishing the thought in a chiastic structure, the simple is a fool who is reckless and careless. The chiastic structure appears as follows:

 

A:  The simple believes everything (vs 15a)

B:  The prudent gives thought to his steps (vs 15b)

B': The prudent is wise and cautious and turns from evil (vs 16a)

A': The simple is a reckless and a careless fool (vs 16b)

 

The scriptures extol prudence in many passages and stories. Yes, we are to walk by faith, but that does not mean checking your brain at the door. God gave us a mind to think, question, reason, and use. I (as a scientist myself) believe a serious look at Christianity (and specifically Jesus' words) will provide a person with the most rational and logical explanation of life.

 

We can listen to all the people who confirm our biases, or we can seek absolute truth. It is found in Jesus, the Son of God.

 

PONDER:

  1. When it comes to faith, do I believe what I want to be true, or do I seriously search the scriptures for truth?
  2. Am I open to having my mind changed by truth?

 

PRAYER: Father, continue to open my mind to your truth. Where I am wrong or pig-headed, help me to see my foolishness. I pray I would seriously listen to people and not dismiss conversations without considering their thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment