Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, July 3, 2024

QT 7/3/2024 Titus 3:12-14, Putting the church first and acting prudently

Titus 3:12–14 (ESV) — 12 When I send Artemas or Tychicus to you, do your best to come to me at Nicopolis, for I have decided to spend the winter there. 13 Do your best to speed Zenas the lawyer and Apollos on their way; see that they lack nothing. 14 And let our people learn to devote themselves to good works, so as to help cases of urgent need, and not be unfruitful.

 

NOTE: Paul is concerned for the churches above himself, but he not without actions regarding himself. Before Titus can come to him, he is sending either Artemas or Tychicus to Titus to relieve him (in Paul's practice, the church came first). As for his own needs, he is speeding up Zenas the lawyer and Apollos (a skillful speaker), and making sure their needs are met along the way. Assumedly, they are going to help Paul in upcoming legal matters. Apparently, Paul is on some kind of parole (but still technically a prisoner). As for his plans to winter in Nicopolis, Paul is aging, probably in his mid-60's, and like many men in his 60's, does not have the same vigor as in his younger years. Wintering in one place, and then traveling in the summer is a common sense practical choice. God gave us a mind to consider the situation before choosing a course of action. Of course, God intervenes at times and has us do the uncommon, but that is on God's choice, not ours. For someone to do something lacking common sense, and then believe God will take care of him, without any calling to the task, seems foolish.

 

PONDER:

  1. What is it that God has called me to in these years of my life?
  2. What am I doing to complete the task that God has given me?

 

PRAYER: Father, help me to see and understand your will for my life. I pray for ears to hear and a mind to understand. Teach me and lead me in the proper course.

No comments:

Post a Comment