Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, July 4, 2024

QT 7/4/2024 Prov 1:5-7, Learning is so important to life

Proverbs 1:5–7 (ESV) —

5 Let the wise hear and increase in learning,

and the one who understands obtain guidance,

6 to understand a proverb and a saying,

the words of the wise and their riddles.

7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge;

fools despise wisdom and instruction.

 

NOTE: I grew up in a family where no one I knew had gone to college. My father had not finished High School. Getting an education was not mentioned and the bible was never read. In school, a homeroom teacher told me I had to take the ACT, and I was not sure where I would find the $10 for the test. My Mom had some money and so I took the test. Still, when the results (I received high scores) came in, I went into the meeting with no intention of doing anything. I did not know what I would do when I graduated, but school was not an option. But a counselor in a large auditorium started the meeting with the statement, "lack of funds is no reason to not go to college." That was my only reason, so I took him on his word. I got a grant and a small loan, and then later a scholarship that eliminated the need for loans. I worked at school and during my vacation breaks. At school, I came to know Jesus and believe in him. Even though I was religious, I was not really a Christian. Jesus totally changed my life. I have studied the bible for years, I got a Masters in Science and more because I have learned to be a life-long learner.

 

The author starts out with the importance of learning, and I have to agree that is the secret to so much in life. It keeps you sharp, it opens up opportunities, it is good for your soul. Additionally, I found teaching a class very helpful. When I teach, I have to do more work to understand the passage, and that has also changed my life. Finally, applying truth is even more important than gaining truth, although the latter is the foundation on which you apply truth. Being a doer of what you learn is the icing on the cake (James 1:22).

 

PONDER:

  1. Am I a life-long learner, no matter what stage of life I am in?
  2. What is the last book I read or the last course I took/viewed?

 

PRAYER: Father, thank you for the direction you orchestrated in my life. Thank you for giving us minds to learn. Continue to give me insight into your word and other areas in life. I always want to be reading, studying, and taking courses in various subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment