Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, July 15, 2024

QT 7/15/2024 Prov 8:10-11; Prov 8:32-36, The most valuable thing you can get

Proverbs 8:10–11 (ESV) —

10 Take my instruction instead of silver,

and knowledge rather than choice gold,

11 for wisdom is better than jewels,

and all that you may desire cannot compare with her.

Proverbs 8:32–36 (ESV) —

32 “And now, O sons, listen to me:

blessed are those who keep my ways.

33 Hear instruction and be wise,

and do not neglect it.

34 Blessed is the one who listens to me,

watching daily at my gates,

waiting beside my doors.

35 For whoever finds me finds life

and obtains favor from the Lord,

36 but he who fails to find me injures himself;

all who hate me love death.”

 

NOTE: Verses 10-11 are an oft repeated phrase in the Psalms and Proverbs. But I find that most people don't believe it, or that the enemy has convinced them that spending money/time for a conference or spiritual class is not worth it. The scriptures cry out that spiritual wisdom is FAR greater than anything you can own or get from the world. Money, gold, silver, jewels, … NOTHING compares to instruction and wisdom, and specifically God's ("… my ways … listen to me … find me …"). If we believed this, having a quiet time (QT) every morning would be the thing we did without failure, eager to hear what God would say for the day. But alas, most Christians do not believe it, haven't experienced it, and as the Proverb says "… he who fails to find me injures himself …."

 

PONDER:

  1. Do we really believe God's instruction and wisdom is of more value than anything else on earth?
  2. What does our life, our habits, our schedule, our use of time reveal about how important God's word is to our life?

 

PRAYER: Father, thank you that for some reason, I made the right choices years ago. I love your word. I love teaching your word. I love how the Holy Spirit has used the word to change my life. And I love the fact that I can never get enough, … my heart yearns for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment