Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, July 19, 2024

QT 7/19/2024 Prov 12:1, Being a person who loves knowledge

Proverbs 12:1 (ESV) —

1 Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge,

but he who hates reproof is stupid.

 

NOTE: The first half of the proverb has a number of verses devoted to the virtue of listening and being a good example. The second half devotes itself to the importance of honest words. I like 12:1 because it is probably my weakness. There is a defensiveness that rises up within me when another questions me or reproves me. If I was a wise man, I would be excited to hear criticism, because I could then evaluate the information, and if it was valid, change and become better. Instead, I want to hear people compliment me or praise me for some thought I had. I probably need to develop a little repertoire of questions, like …

 

  • Could I have explained something better?
  • Was there any part that was confusing?
  • If you were giving the presentation, what would you leave out?

 

Those are the questions that progress a person is wisdom and emphasize the importance of learning.

 

PONDER:

  1. What feedback am I looking for when I speak?
  2. Do I try to elicit feedback that is other than praise?
  3. And how do I respond to "negative" feedback? Do I evaluate it to learn or am I defensive?

 

PRAYER: Father, next time someone tells me how good something was that I did, help me to think of questions to draw out ideas on how I can improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment