Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, July 29, 2024

QT 7/29/2024 Prov 18:23, Humility is a key to healthy interactions

Proverbs 18:23 (ESV) —

23 The poor use entreaties,

but the rich answer roughly.

 

NOTE: I have found that even when I believe deep down in my heart that I am right in a conflict, it is better to approach the angry individual as if I am to blame as well. That seems duplicitous, since I am not being truthful. But it just works better to shoulder some of the blame. In the end, what does it matter whose fault it really is? There is always something I could do better or that I can think of that I could do better: I didn't communicate well, I was too abrupt, I didn't stop and ask the other person's opinion, I acted hastily, … and the list goes on. And sometimes, I can see my fault better in those situations. I may start out thinking I am quite in the right. And after approaching the individual and asking forgiveness for not communicating well and allowing the conflict to occur, I do see where I did truly contribute to the misunderstanding. So I am not really being duplicitous, I can always do better, and the approach smooths over the conflict. What does the other person learn? When I am humble and take the blame, in most cases the other person admits his own failures in responding. Does he take it to heart? Well, that is for him to figure out, not me.

 

PONDER:

  1. How do I handle conflict?
  2. Can I be humble in a conflict or must I always be right (and arrogant)?

 

PRAYER: Father, arrogance is easy and humility is hard. Jesus, the perfect Son of God, lowered himself to die unjustly. Moses, who talked face to face with you, was called the most humble man on the earth (but he did not start out that way). Humility is the true path to greatness. Continue to help me to shed myself of pride in my relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment