Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

QT 23 May 18, John 2:23-25, We need God to truly know ourselves


Week
Passage
Date
Verse
Thought
Prayer
4
John 2:23-25
5/23
John 2:23–25 (ESV) —
23 Now when he was in Jerusalem at the Passover Feast, many believed in his name when they saw the signs that he was doing. 24 But Jesus on his part did not entrust himself to them, because he knew all people 25 and needed no one to bear witness about man, for he himself knew what was in man.
Jesus completely knows us. We can fool others with our spirituality or knowledge or by saying the right words, but Jesus knows us. In fact, Jesus knows us better than we know ourselves. It is why David prayed to God to "search me Oh God and know my ways, try me and test my thoughts and see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." That is a poor paraphrase from memory of a verse in Ps 139, but God knows us better than we know ourselves. We can fool ourselves and think that our motives are right, but God knows the true motives of our heart.
Father,
Search me, O God, and know my heart!
Try me and know my thoughts!
And see if there be any grievous way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting!
Open my eyes to the real me. I want your will not my will. My will always causes me trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment