Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, May 8, 2018

QT 8 May 18, 1 Cor 1:22, The gospel appears as foolishness, but it is not to those who are willing to dig


Week
Passage
Date
Verse
Thought
Prayer
2
1 Cor 1:17-25
5/8
1 Corinthians 1:22 (ESV) —For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom,
There seems to be two responses to the gospel. There are people who respond emotionally. They want signs. There are other people who want the intellectual argument. I do believe both exist in the gospel, but ultimately the gospel is foolishness when observed superficially. A carpenter, claiming to be God, is falsely convicted of a capital crime, and the death of this innocent man pays my penalty of sin. His resurrection, observed by over 500 men, guarantees me eternal life. If a person is willing to understand the problem from the perspective of God it is logical and intellectual. Emotionally, we see the deep love of God that breaks the relationship of the triune God for a moment of time. But when observed at first glance, it does appear foolish.
Father, I believed because I saw my sin and the Holy Spirit convicted me. And I knew I wanted a relationship with you. Over the years, I have seen my faith become deeper because it is more than just a story that grabbed my heart. It is a story that is true. I know it intellectually and I know it emotionally. I've seen you change my heart and I am a new person today. Thank you for salvation..

No comments:

Post a Comment