Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Historical QT 17 Sep 1989, In the midst of pain, we never really know the ending of the story

Heb 4:15-16 (NIV) For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are — yet was without sin. 16 Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

NOTE: The disappointment that began last Friday night was too great for words. The tears would not stop flowing Saturday. I had hoped for so much and yet realized the dashing of my dreams again. It is hard to see God's sovereignty in days like these. It's hard to maintain faith in the unseen when the seen is so disappointing. I know I should be thankful though, Luke's fistula and web are gone. He is not in danger of any more pneumonias and he is closer than ever to getting rid of his trache. Thank you God for those successes. Help my faith -- to believe even this disappointment is for good.

((TODAY, 26 Jul 2012: My memory falters  because of the number of surgeries, but I'm pretty sure this was the reconstruction of the airway using cartilage from the rib. The new airway collapsed shortly after the recovery phase--ten hours in surgery, ten days (I think) in meditated state to let the structure hold, and then disaster. Luke lived and we survived, but it was devastating emotionally. A few months later, the doctors would tell us that there is nothing more they could do, Luke would be trache-dependent the rest of his life. I think that news hurt even more because Luke was not only no closer to getting rid of the trache, but never getting rid of the trache. And yet, out of that depth of pain, out of that "death of a vision," remarkably Luke would tolerate a passy-muir (not at first, but a few months later), indicating that his airway might be better off than anyone thought. And a some months later, another piece of cartilage, this time from his ear, and a few months of healing with a metal trache would result in him getting rid of the trache forever on his third birthday. The moral of the story --in the midst of the pain, we never really know the ending of the story.))

No comments:

Post a Comment