Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Historical QT 4 Feb 1988 / 5 Feb 1988, A debtor to mercy

4 Feb 1988:
Ps 94:12,13 (NIV) Blessed is the man you discipline, O Lord, the man you teach from your law;  you grant him relief from days of trouble . . .

NOTE: I don't know if any of our troubles are discipline -- it very well could be,  God knows me perfectly, he knows my sins. I do know that the suffering has  had a good effect on my life. I've learned a lot, my character has changed, my  ministry goals have changed. I would like to claim this verse and ask God that  he would answer quickly. Please, Lord, grant us relief from our days of trouble.  Amen.

5 Feb 1988:
Psalm 123:2 (NIV) As the eyes of slaves look to their master, as the eyes of the maid look to the  hand of her mistress, so our eyes look to the Lord our God, till he shows us his mercy.

NOTE: I continue to look to you God for mercy. Lately you have not withheld  much it seems to test us. Broken cars, Sharon's teeth, near family (relatives)  problems, Luke's episodes have pushed us beyond our limit. Only by your  grace have we not been overwhelmed. I have no idea what you have  protected us from recently. I can't understand the limits of your mercy, but I  would pray for more mercy from your hand. We need a chance to breathe  easily again. Please Lord have mercy. Amen.

((TODAY, 15 July 2012: It seems I have often prayed for mercy. I am a debtor  to mercy. I know I am to grace as well, but mercy is easier for me to  understand. Mercy reminds me of my unworthiness. Of course, grace reminds  me of the incomprehensibility of God's love. Still, maybe I can get my mind  around the concept of mercy easier than I can understand grace.

We experienced many difficulties back then. Each week, there was a new reason for an emergency room run. It was quite tiring. But looking back at it from a 24 year vantage point, I can almost say, "it was good." I say "almost" because I know in my heart I would never want to revisit it. I'd rather learn my lessons once.))

No comments:

Post a Comment