Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, July 16, 2012

Historical QT 13 Feb 1988, The struggle between suffering and justice


Ps 73:2-5, 16-17 (NIV)
But as for me, my feet had almost slipped;
I had nearly lost my foothold.
3 For I envied the arrogant
when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

4 They have no struggles;
their bodies are healthy and strong.
5 They are free from the burdens common to man;
they are not plagued by human ills.
. . .
16 When I tried to understand all this,
it was oppressive to me
17 till I entered the sanctuary of God;
then I understood their final destiny.
. . .
21 When my heart was grieved
and my spirit embittered,
22 I was senseless and ignorant;
I was a brute beast before you.

NOTE: Psalm 73 is a perfect song for the needs in our life. It describes my wife's feelings and mine to a certain extent. I've not been as vocal, but deep down I've thought the same thoughts as Sharon. In the Psalm, Asaph complains about his affliction and seemingly lack of affliction affecting the wicked.  Asaph wonders whether he has walked with God in vain. Why walk with God if it only brings burdens to one's life? Yet while Asaph can't understand on his own, when he enters the presence of God and understands the wicked's final destiny, it makes mores sense. The wicked's destiny is hell and the suffering of Hell can never compare to any suffering on earth. Then Asaph remembers his bitterness toward God and realizes that he has no other hope than God. God has not abandoned him, rather God has given him strength to deal with the troubles and burdens.

((TODAY, 16 July 2012: The psalms capture the heart of the writers. They are real with emotion and true in their feelings. Asaph struggles with bitterness, and so we all struggle at times to make sense of life. If this life is all there is, then there is no justice, but we believe that there is life beyond the temporary, and all the wrongs will be made right in that day. I still struggle with these thoughts at time, but I've also come to realize that "not everything is as it seems." The wicked and arrogant are not so happy as they make themselves out to be. We really don't know a person's life by observing the surface. What is below the surface is usually not so pretty. And so justice probably comes a lot sooner than many of us realize.))

No comments:

Post a Comment