Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, July 27, 2012

Historical QT 15 Oct 1989, Our faith needs to be in God's answer and not our presciption


Ps 20:7 (NIV) Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
but we trust in the name of the Lord our God.

NOTE: Once again, my hopes are dashed. What I desired so greatly is farther than ever from me. I believed God for a miracle like nothing I've believed before. I suppose it wasn't very strong, because my trust has collapsed. Maybe I trusted too much in medical science or the doctors. Maybe I gloried too much in my pity. Maybe, finally the real me is unmasked. It takes utmost despair to show myself that I too can't handle real disappointment. I'm a tired son these days, O Lord. I need your strength, I need hope, I need a miracle. Why, O why can I not have it? I suppose I know the answer, I just don't want to face it.

((TODAY, 27 July 2012: Obviously, this was when we were told that Luke would be trache-dependent his whole life. The doctors had put a lot of effort in Luke, but we didn't seem to be making any progress. And while the key doctors were God-fearing men who cared for Luke, others on the staff were probably arguing that too much manpower and effort had already been wasted. I know this is true because one of the doctors (not the lead doctor) had caught Sharon alone and told her that we needed to stop wasting their time. Our son would probably die of pneumonia anyway and there were other things they could be doing. I know that not all the doctors agreed with that statement, but they probably were losing hope too. I don't remember the name of the doctor who made the statement, but I wonder what he would think to know Luke is alive today, and living without a trache.

I used the word "dashed" a lot back then. I think I read CS Lewis' use of the word in a Grief Observed, where he talks about his hope dashed and his faith being a house of cards. In many ways, those thoughts were my thoughts at this point. I believed in something to happen and it didn't happen, so my faith was also a house of cards, ready to be blown over by the first gust of wind. The problem was that my faith was based upon my solution to the problem. I didn't have faith to look or wait for God's solution. Jesus told us to pray for the Father's kingdom to come, but really we pray for our kingdom to come (last Sunday's message at church). That is what I was doing, and still do at times. Rather, I need to be watching to see how God answers my prayers rather than expecting them to be answered my way.))

No comments:

Post a Comment