Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Historical QT 23 Feb 1988, At the end of the rope ...


Ps 143:11 (NIV) For your name's sake, O Lord, preserve my life; in your righteousness, bring me out of trouble.

NOTE: Lord, I know our lives are supposed to bring you glory, but there comes a point where humanly it's just impossible to live. I'm not far from that point and Sharon is very close. Sharon is at the point of an emotional breakdown. God, our ruin brings you no glory. It causes people to ask, "why didn't God intervene or help?" I know already you've given us much strength, but our lives are exhausted; we are in need of a miracle. God you must do something supernatural or at least cause the constant problems and burdens to slow down. Lately, the only thing new every morning has been a new problem. I don't know why you've chosen to deal with us in this way. I know we are sinners, but your discipline (if it is discipline) is devastating. If you're causing us to grow for some unknown purpose and future, then I want to thank you and praise you, but please, I'm not sure we can grow much more right now. I know you know what's best, but please Lord, have mercy on us. For your name's sake, have mercy on us. My family is almost destroyed.

((TODAY, 17 July 2012: I think that was one of the hardest journal entries I ever wrote. It was easy to write how I felt, but the pain of the situation was overwhelming. The phrases "the only thing new every morning is a new problem" (a poke at Lamentations 3:22,23), and "My family is almost destroyed," still stick in my memory. I suppose things would cycle between getting better and then worse for another three years. At this point, we are only 3 months and a week into our suffering, and I am already about to quit. One thing I have learned over the years and it probably started during this period of my life, is to be absolutely honest with God. For one thing, we can't fool him. For another reason, it makes the relationship so much more real. It makes no sense to pretend to God -- we can pretend with people, but not God. God is pretty big too and he can take our whining. There comes a time where we just need to accept, but early on, it is perfectly normal to rant at God.))

No comments:

Post a Comment