Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Historical QT 14 Mar 1988 / 21 Mar 1988, Little things, like visits, can help the sufferer

14 Mar 1988
Ps 86:16 (NIV) Turn to me and have mercy on me; grant your strength to your servant and save the son of your maidservant.

NOTE: Lord, there are four requests here which I (we) need. We need you (turn to us); we need your mercy (please, stop the pain); we need your strength (we've run out of ours); we need you physical salvation and healing of Luke. Please, Jesus do this. Amen --- thank you Lord for your graciousness.

21 Mar 1988
Ps 86:17 (NIV) Give me a sign of your goodness, that my enemies may see it and be put to shame, for you, O Lord, have helped me and comforted me.

NOTE: Lord, truly I do desire a sign of your goodness. I thank you for the small signs I've seen already -- financial gifts, dinners, visits by friends, etc…. Also, Luke is making good progress and Sarah is showing good sings of getting through the terrible twos. Still Lord, I would like to see a sign of your goodness that is nothing less than a miracle. Please Lord, heal Luke. Remove the blockage in his trachea; allow his mind to overcome the loss of the corpus callosum. You Lord, who fashioned Luke can recreate all these things. To you be the glory -- Thank You -- Amen.

((TODAY, 21 July 2012: This is so representative of the times: one week I am falling apart, and the next I'm recognizing goodness but pleading for more mercy. Also, interestingly enough, I was struggling to find time with the Lord that week, as evidenced by the back to back verses. Of note is that little things do make a difference. The visit at our house by friends was rare but so appreciated. I think it was rare because people did not know what to say. I think they thought they were intruding. Meals were appreciated, but it is easier to drop off a meal, then to stop in and visit, and the latter was much more encouraging. As for not knowing what to say, the best thing during those times is not to say anything (that is trying to say something spiritual or profound). Just talking about life and asking questions is good enough. I'm not sure I've learned that lesson. I too often avoid the visits and am much more comfortable giving financial gifts or dinners. Lord, help me to remember this forgotten truth.))

No comments:

Post a Comment